[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - FO bottle disaster

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FO bottle disaster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 am 

Just got my Bramblebox, and I think I might have gotten a little too excited. I lifted the foam bag, or whatever you call that expanding foam thing that BB uses to pack their EO's and FO's. As I gazed into the box before I could even count the bottles or remembered how many I had ordered I heard a crash. One of the FO bottles had stuck to the foam I lifted out somehow, and then fell onto the tile floor. It fell in such a way that I was able to save about one ounce of the two ounces I started with, but DAMN! The whole house reeks of this FO, Indian Sandalwood, and I'm not so sure I like it OOB ( Or OKF, On Kitchen Floor). I remembered burning sandalwood incense with my grandmother when I was little, and the scent mixing with the rose geranium she wears. I was hoping to recreate something uniquely her with this, but this sandalwood is so floral it has no resemblance to the smokey smell I think of. It's very very floral, and my partner thinks so also. Since A: it's not really BB's fault and B:I'm not so sure I want more of this scent, I think I'm just going to write this off as a loss.

Does anyone know any FO's that smell like real sandalwood incense? The EO is ridiculously out of my price range for this kind of project, I don't want to spend $100 on a two pound batch.

Thanks in advance for your sympathy and advice.

Post subject: Re: FO bottle disaster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:25 am 

Totally just posting for sympathy here. I know very little about EOs and FOs. But I do have a LOT of experience in the OKF realm of the soaping world! I hope you're able to find what you're looking for as it sounds like a wonderful blend you're seeking.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:27 am 

Oh no! At least you were able to save some of it. I don't know of any FO's that compare with the real thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am 

Doh!!! That sneaky foam likes to gobble up the bottles, I always check it over super well after having the same thing happen. Only my bottle bounced off my foot and didn't break... gave me a nice bruise though!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:54 pm 

Hestey, I will DEFINITELY be checking the foam from now on. What get's me is that it wasn't even the side of the foam the bottle was most imbedded in, it was the side that surrounded the smallest amount of the bottles circumference, I don't know what held it in! Might be just to open the boxes on the floor where there is carpet from now on.

I just soaped with what I was able to salvage (strained it and looked for glass shards, didn't find any) and it went and accelerated my trace! It wasn't so bad, I would call it a learning experience, but I will not be getting this FO again. I mixed it with Rose Geranium EO, which may have been what caused the trace to accelerate but I don't know. I wanted to do an in the pot swirl, with some soap left uncolored, but colored it all since I calculated for the oil I used to disperse my colorants, I didn't want some of it to be heavily superfatted and other places less so. It may have come out muddled but we'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:25 pm 

Sorry about the loss but at least some of it was saved. I make a blend with both Indian Sandalwood and Sensuous Sandalwood. SS isn't as sweet/floral so you'd probably like it better. Then again, there are more things added to the blend so it's not an incense kind of scent from it. Hmm, maybe you could blend it with Nag Champa to get the incense scent? Good luck with the project!

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:29 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:35 pm 

I was surprised how much I liked the Nag Champa since I'm not a big incense fan myself. The Sensuous Sandalwood my husband also likes more than the Indian Sandalwood. Try both! *channeling hestey* :lol:

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:39 am 

. This is what I like to use. I think it is very much just a Sandalwood scent which is one of my favorite scents in the whole world. Of course I also really like Patchouli on it's own too. Some people don't.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:38 am