[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Lesson sadly learned

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lesson sadly learned
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:09 am 

I needed to make a soap order and I needed the prices to be reasonable and for the company to be some what locaI (I even paid for 2 day delivery to ensure the package arrived in time). I decided to order from NGs. Last night (mind you it is currently 5:00am) my boyfriend and I started to make the favors for our baby shower (which is today). Between us both working we didn't have time to do a test batch until last night. We cut up some cubes of the GM soap base and popped it in the microwave on 30sec blasts (using saran wrap, of course). We noticed right away how quickly the soap began to set up. We had some detailed work to do with the injector tool, but were unable to because the base went from too liquidy to too hard in seconds. I thought maybe the temp had to do with the batch being so small (losing heat too fast?) We decided to not do the detail and just fill the entire candy mold and just make bright baby pink soaps on a stick that say "It's a girl". We melted 8oz of the GM base and I decided to nuke it a bit longer (still in 30 sec bursts) because maybe the NG base needs to reach a higher temp than the BB. We mixed in our VCS and some baby powder FO and began pouring it into the molds. The soap didn't seem to set up as fast as we were pouring, but when we sprayed it with rubbing alcohol the bubbles didn't budge. Even though the soap didn't set up in the measuring cup we were pouring from, once the soap made its way into the mold it began to set up. We let the soaps harden at room temp and then popped them in the freezer. When we released the soaps from the mold the soaps started to crack. By this time it was 11pm so we decided to stop making soap. I was really upset and stressed out. The soaps that we made don't even feel like soap, but more of a cheap, foamy toy that breaks easily. I also can't decide if I like how my hands feel after using the soap.

I'm trying to figureout if there is a way to salvage the batch of soap we made even though 8oz contains FO and VCS (not sure if they can be remelted with the FO and VCS already mixed in). We only bought an ounce of color, an ounce of VCS, and an ounce of FO. The candy molds are really small so we had the perfect amount of supplies for this project which would yield about 25-30 soaps. I really want to try and make something first thing in the morning before my baby shower (which is at 2pm), but I'm not sure if I have any molds small enough to yield the 25-30 bars of soap or if working with this base is even worth the stress. Nor do I want to give out a bar of soap made out of a base that I'm not 100% confident in.

My boyfriend said not to worry about the base being a waste as we can just use it to make test batches of soap and try different techniques. I don't see how we can do anything with this base since it sets up so quickly (even the base I first purchased from Michaels doesn't set up this fast!). I have about one pound left of BB's hemp base, but I don't think I can get enough individual pieces out of it to yield the number of bars I need.

I keep telling myself, "lesson learned", but I am just so upset that the entire project was ruined. Needless to say I am only buying SFIC bases from now on. I need to price out the costs of nearby suppliers and s&h between them and BB. At this point though, I'm ready to buy my MP base from BB even if it would cost me $100 more either that or I'll just buy from SFIC directly.

I still have another 2lb slab of NG's GM as well as a 2lb slab of their oatmeal base...plus whatever is left over from the other 2lb slab of GM. Needless to say I am not a happy camper. Lesson learned, right?

Post subject: Re: Lesson sadly learned
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:10 am 

I raided my soap closet this morning and to my complete surprise I found a 1lb block of GM from BB! I was so excited since I now have 2 BB bases to work with. I decided to melt a cube of base and test it out in the mold with the stick (I had about an ounce left of shea mp so I used this). It worked beautifully and the soap didn't break.

I melted the GM base from BB, added my color, fragrance, and VCS (all from NG) and the soap did the same thing it did last night! It started to set up quickly, got kind of foamy looking, and when I sprayed with RA it only seemed to make things worse!! I did use a mini frother to fully incorporate everything so I'm not sure if this is the issue? I've seen people use the big stick blenders in MP so I'm not sure if the mini frother hurt the batch.

I'm not sure what went wrong here, this is what I'm thinking:

1. GM base sets up quickly and is rather difficult to work with
2. There is an issue with the FO
3. There is an issue with the VCS
4. There is an issue with the colorant

If it is ok to discuss the products from NG in greater detail here, could someone please help me to figure out what went wrong? You can always send me a PM so we can discuss the products there.

I'm still not sure what to do about favors for my shower, but I'll make something work! I also took pics of the soap that I made today so I will upload the pics later. Time to go get ready for my shower!!

Thank you kindly in advance to anyone that offers a helping hand...I need it badly!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:49 am 

I don't do M&P, I just wanted to say good luck with your project and your shower!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:49 am 

I've found that some bases seem to seize if they've been heated too high. I had some that would be 180 when just melted, then solid at 140! Those were Stephenson's bases, and I've since stopped using them. Not sure why this happens. Glad you have some BB base! Never had trouble with it before! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:35 am 

I never use a mircowave becuase I've found that the M&P sets up too fast and when detail work you need a longer time. though it takes longer to cool but that's not a bad thing. I use the double boiler method. maybe its me and my base.. I also only use BB bulk flat rate bases becuase its cheaper for me. I have some other bases for BB too. for those special projects that require a clearer base. point I'm trying to make is try the double boiler method what can it hurt?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:33 pm 

Hope the shower goes well! :D

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:25 pm 

Sorry that the MP wasnt working out for you. I don't do a lot of MP but have never had a problem with them siezing when I did. Part of me wants to say have you tried adding a very small bit of glycerin- I blend my colors with it before adding. But it seems like you have narrowed it down and maybe someone can provide a bit more insight to the problem.

Dawn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:54 pm 

I believe my bf and I were able to narrow the problem down to the colorant (we used the neon pink Fun soap color from NG) which is diluted in glycerin. After trying to make a new batch by myself using the BB base we went over all of the possibilities. We realized that the first small batch that we made using NG's base included the colorant and it set up immediately. When I melted BB's base it was nice and milky/creamy and then it started to thicken up as I stirred in the color.

I ended up pouring all of the soap into a loaf and it took forever to set up! The soap formed a really thick/hard skin on top, but it was still a bit warm to the touch and the underside of the skin was still jiggly. We ended up not having any soap for the shower, so we decided to mail some with our thank you cards instead.

I'm going to give the NG base another try and hopefully the other colorants I bought from them won't cause me the same heartache.

Thanks for the insight ladies!!

Btw, the shower was incredible regardless of the lack of soap! Lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:50 am 

Here are some pics I took after using the BB GM base

The consistency was very rubbery and impossible to work with. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Come to think of it, I tried making whipped frosting before and used some liquid castile soap...the consistency is quite similar!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:13 am 

Did you add the VCS to the fragrance oil or to the mp?

I've used BB's Goat Milk base, NGC's Goat Milk Base both with NGC's VCS and have honestly never had that problem.

The foamy, too many air bubbles problem is most likely from when you stirred it. If you used a frother, it incorporates too much air into the base. With MP it's almost impossible to get all those bubbles out.

If you used a lot of the colorant, then maybe the glycerin from the colorant may have contributed to the bendy problem. But the glycerin wouldn't cause the base to thicken and set up quickly. That's usually caused by too much stirring or fo's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:39 pm 

at the risk of sounding like a total noob, I have to ask what is VCS?

Dawn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:52 am 

ok so now I get to have a DUH moment LOL

Dawn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:33 am