[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - I've ruined my kitchen counter top :(

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:22 am 

I didn't realise that soap would strip the varnish from my kitchen counter! it looks kind of patchy after lots of batches of soap getting spilt here and there. I've started putting greaseproof paper down whenever I soap now, but does anyone know if my counters can be saved?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am 

Ugh! I know how you feel! I had a batch of lye get damaged during a courier delivery and the stuff got all over my table. It instantly ate the varnish and stain off the table, so now there are blotches and scratchy marks all over it. I'll have to sand it back, re-stain and varnish it if I want it back to how it was. That might be the case for you too. I always put loads of newspaper down when I make soap because I always spill something. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:48 am 

Oh no! I hope that you can fix it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:32 pm 

eep! I hope that's not as expensive as it sounds. It's a lovely kitchen, I just wasn't aware soap would take off the varnish. Maybe there's a way to scrape off the other layers of varnish and then re-do it all. I'll have to look into it ... but yeah, newspaper or greaseproof paper down from now on!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:32 pm 

Lara, sorry to hear about your counter top... hope it can be saved! When I first started I noticed my stone counter becoming "dull" where I sat my lye container. Then I started putting down plastic. Eventually I learnt that placing the container in the sink is a good idea incase of a spill. I still line my sink with plastic unless I need to do an ice bath. This truly is a journey of learning.