[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Consignment

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Consignment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:37 pm 

Has anyone had any experience in selling to stores on consignment??? Good, Bad, Ugly experiences. And what is the going rate 70/30?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Consignment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 pm 

Hi Margo

I'm a newbie at soap making and haven't sold soap via consignment but have sold many of my jewellery pieces through consignment. Depending on the place you wish to place your items in, the experience can be fantastic as mine was. The going rate was about 70/30 as you suggested. If you have your salable goods in a good location with good staff you should find the experience rewarding. Make sure you have no other (or little) competition in that location and always reward the staff if they do a good job. They are more likely to recommend your products over others if you are truly sincere and caring. Best of luck

Rebecca :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:02 pm 

Thanks Rebecca. Actually I will be the store owner, I should have made that more clear. Just want to know the ins and out through your eyes.

I am a bit worried about jewellery with thief. And would hate to see anyone, including myself take a loss.

I will have a security system with cameras, but I hear its not full proof.

I was hoping to bring in some handmade candles on consignment, as I don't want the added expense of insurance, and was hoping the candle makers would be providing that with their products.

Thanks again for giving me some positive insight,

Cheers
Margo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:28 pm 

I work in retail, people steal EVERYTHING! The place I work has lots of cameras, and you will find empty packages on shelves, missing items, you name it. They even steal the rolls of tp from the bathroom! The individuals are not as big a problem as the organized groups.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:14 am 

I've had several items of mine stolen from a shop, and the shop owner said "sorry, it's consignment. I can't pay you for stuff I wasn't paid for either."
So, I was just out the product. It sucks, but the shop owner is right. I can't expect to be paid for stolen stuff. I don't do much consignment anymore for that reason. I sell to shops so they pay me up front and if it gets stolen, it's their loss, not mine.

But cm439 is right, people will steal anything that isn't bolted down! It's sad really, but it happens a lot.

Brandy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:38 pm 

Thanks for all your replies. There is nothing worse than putting your hard work, time and money into something, then not get paid for it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:22 pm 

The really sad part of this is that the honest people pay... everyone needs to cover their costs so that just makes the price of the item go up. I guess when we say life is not fair this is part of it. I do hope the store keeper would watch as closly as possible the shoppers in the store, and don't be afraid to call the authorities if someone is caught.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:12 pm 

I tried 3 different stores. None turned out. One had a bad theft problem, they stole as much as I sold in a month.

Bruce