[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Soap from biodiesel byproduct

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:28 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:50 pm 

Hi and welcome!

I know nothing about soaping, yet (I am just now perfecting my lotions and lip balms), but am interested in trying it in the near future.

I did want to say AWESOME on the bio-fuels!! How are they working out for you??

I am an environmental science major in my senior year, and we have been talking a lot about alternate fuel sources lately. And bio-fuels seem the coolest to me. You get donuts AND fuel for your car. What a great system!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:24 pm 

Welcome!
Is there any chance you could get the glycerin tested? After all, it does go on your skin. I'm no expert on bio-diesel, but I have been making soaps for many years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:54 pm 

Hi and Welcome bio-d-soaper. Very interesting topic.
Have you made soap yet ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:16 pm 

- [i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:13 pm 

The most frequently asked question I've gotten this year has got to be about making soap from biodiesel glycerin. Glycerin is a natural byproduct from the biodiesel refining process. In the photo above, the glycerin is on the right. The biodisel is on the left. I personally would not ever use this glycerin as an ingredient in soap but there are a lot of people that would like to, purity concerns be damned. I am posting my thoughts on this interesting subject for all to see, in the hopes that it educates and possibly stems the endless tide of "I know this is a really strange question, but I make biodiesel and I was wondering ...." emails.

I do not personally recommend making soap with the byproduct glycerin from biodiesel manufacturing as I don't think it's entirely clean and pure and has some extra things like methanol in it. So, you might consider testing yours to be on the safe side. However, we do have a local customer in Bellingham, WA that does make a soft, smushy, gray looking bar of solid, slightly lathering soap with their byproduct bio-diesel. They have shared a bar with me and while it is soap, it is very soft and fairly poor in terms of lather. This is probably due to the fact that it is 100% glycerin which is not entirely saponifiable by lye.

If you really want to use the byproduct glycerin, I would recommend a more modified, traditional recipe such as:

16 oz. Coconut Oil
16 oz. Palm Oil
32 oz. Olive Oil
16 oz. liquid Glycerin

Lye 9.4 oz.

Water 16 ounces

Please not that you must do a certain amount of safety precautions to make lye and I strongly recommend researching how to make cold process soap prior to attempting to make it. My favorite books The SoapMaker's Companion by Susan Miller Cavitch to learn about soapmaking or The Natural Soap Book, also by Susan Miller Cavitch. My favorite DVD on the subject (by moi) would also be a good starting point for learning how to make CP soap.

The recipe above will be soft but will lather decently and last much longer than 100% glycerin soap.

Also, you might think about other things like fire-starters with your by-product liquid glycerin.

Anne-Marie
blog: www.soap-queen.blogspot.com
supplies: www.brambleberry.com

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:36 pm 

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
I have made soap from the glycerin. It took a couple batches to get the temps right (not too hot) and the correct amount of water.
The glycerine in its "raw" form does have residule methanol and lye that remains after the transesterfication process. The methanol must be distilled out and any remaining lye must be taken into consideration when calculating the amount of lye/fat-oil ratio. That is the tricky part! I will make a batch of cold process and one "cooked" batch to use as a base; then mill/rebatch to add essential oils etc. Yes, even when using sodium hydroxide lye the soap can be soft. Adding other "hard" fats like coconut oil helps to harden the soap. The hardest part for me will be waiting while the base soap "cures"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:52 pm 

Post subject: Some other products
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:54 pm 

Well,

Lots of folks make "fire starters" and such from the by-product. There is a group that is or rather becoming larger in making soaps from glycerin.

One very effective type of soap is a hand degreaser for those mechanics. Believe it or not, not all the guys you have working on your cars want to use synthetic alcohol drenched petroleum based hand cleaners. especially when they see how effective the liquid glycerin degreaser is!

I will keep everyone posted on my successes... and failures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:11 pm 

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:51 pm 

Hi,

As an update on where we are with the bio-d glycerin soap.

It is really wonderful stuff!

If you don't superfat the soap, the bars don't get really hard.

Gell hand soap is easy to make and works wonders on that tough grease.

Yes, all of the methanol has to be removed from the glycerin first.

Coloring is easy if you want brown......... Or, very dark amber. Or, dark greenish-brown. You get the picture. :o

This stuff IS what your grandmothers made. However, with the essential oils and superfatting techniques, it becomes a better more sophisticated soap.

Is it as nice and refined as some of the soaps you all make? No. Maybe. Sort of. It depends on your market. I nailed my market the first go-round.
Stay tuned....

Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:02 pm 

Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:11 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:18 pm