[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Need Advice for Etsy Shop Name

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:19 pm 

I would appreciate some advice in naming my Etsy shop. (FYI: I am not planning on selling soap, as I am a soaping newbie. I have other things to sell.)

I came up with a possible name by mixing rhyming words. I settled on 2 one-syllable words. One word implies the product(s) I will start with. One word implies soap, as a possibility for the future. I then searched for a suitable two-syllable word to tie it together, which could cover any other product I like. Does anyone else sell anything other than soap, or do you all limit your Etsy site to soap (and/or open another Etsy site for other products?)

I googled the phrase, and it appears to be a marketing slogan for a tourism destination, but otherwise appears unused. It was available on Etsy, so I grabbed it. My shop is not open so I'm not committed yet.

The phrase is available on Facebook. There are two other variations (different word order) for small interest groups that have not been active since 2013. I didn't secure my name there yet.

I'm not sure how far to take this. Should I go ahead and check with Twitter and Instagram, and secure my name for the future?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:48 pm 

I would check to make sure that the name is not registered or trademarked. Have you done an open search on the phrase in a search engine?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:40 am 

I googled it, if that's what you mean. Pardon a dumb question, but how do I know if it's trademarked? The tourism slogan actually appears to be the name of a souvenir guide book. There are a few completely unrelated articles with this title. There are also a few small environmental groups with this title. It doesn't appear to be trademarked; I'm less sure about copyright issues.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:51 am 

Go to this site and search for the name. http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-applica ... k-database

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:26 pm 

Thanks for the link.

According to the search, the words occur separately within week listings of patent applications. They are not used together. I'll take this as a no, it's not trademarked?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:56 pm 

If they are not trademarked together, then you should be good to go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:37 am 

I make my living selling on Etsy, not soap yet, but I would not combine soap with the other products I make. They really need to have separate shops IMHO. Also learn all you can about SEO and study it hard in corrilation to Etsy. It will make a great deal of difference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:00 pm 

Due to a reduction in income, I will have to start selling soap soon on Etsy.

Should I really open a separate shop for soap, even if soap would fit under my other store name? Does anyone else have any advice for juggling two stores? Do you have to sign in and out to switch back and forth?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:47 pm 

Sorry I missed this. I have two Etsy stores, and will soon have a third. You either need to log out and into each store or if you use different browsers for each store (what I do) you don't have to do that every time. you also must have a separate email address for each store. Again, I use different browsers for that purpose.

There is no law that says you cannot sell various items under one name as long as Etsy allow the sales of said items. However personally I think soap belongs with like products and not with the other item I sell (Jewelry).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:50 am 

It took me a while to think of a shop name. I found this technique online and it really helped me so I'll pass it on!:

Make lists. List colors you like. Adjectives, places, maybe scents you particularly like. Once you've made a good sized list of things start playing with the words. It worked for me!

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!