[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Seeking advise....

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Seeking advise....
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 am 

Does anyone seek advise about competitors on here, or would that be a different forum?

Post subject: Re: Seeking advise....
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:35 pm 

You can ask here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:10 am 

Let me start by saying, I know competition is healthy for the future growth of any business. It makes you evaluate what you are doing and how you can become better. Fiind what's working and eliminate what's not. I also know it's ok to take inspiration from other people in your industry, but I think copying others in wrong and it shows a lack of creativity.

That being said, this is my issue: I have a competitor who has been copying me, from using the same description to describe her business to making the same product as me. I have specific wording on my Facebook page, web site and brochures that describe my business. Being curious, I check out her web site and here is the description of my company on her web site.

We were at the same craft fair a few months back and one of her relatives approached my booth and began to check out my products. They picked up a jar of my bath salts and bath melts and said "Now that's a good idea." A couple weeks later, this competitor is selling bath salts and bath melts.

This competitor has also been telling people why she would NEVER use ingredients like the ones I have in my soaps (i.e.-Palm Oil and Castor Oil) in an attempt to make me look bad. I could lower my standards and play that game too, but I think it would only hurt me and my business.

I am at the point where I don't know what I should post on Facebook, where I will be selling products, what new product I have, etc. because she seems to follow suite.

My question is....What should I do? Do I ignore the situation? Fight fire with fire? Throw in the towel? What would you do?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49 am 

If you fight fire with fire, you are stooping to her level. Have you talked to her about it? If she writes the same thing on her Facebook page verbatim, you could report her for copyright infringement. Unless you have any of the names copyrighted, there isn't much that you can do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:19 pm 

I don't have a copyright on any tag lines or slogans, so I know I can't do anything legally. I have not spoken to her about the situation, but I did post on my Facebook page that supporting handmade artists shows respect while copying handmade artists shows disrespect. I am hoping that is enough of a hint that she will know I know what she is up to. If I lived in say Utah and she lived in Kentucky and she did this, I wouldn't be the wiser, but since we live in the same community of about 50,000 people, it bothers me. I guess I need to face the fact it's a dog eat dog world out there and the one who does the most scratching and clawing (as messy and ugly as it might get) is the one who comes out on top.

Thanks for listening to me vent. Much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:09 pm 

That's terrible! I hope you find some form of closure on this. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but Irena pretty much said it all. :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:41 am 

I'd be tempted to fight fire with fire. I'd have a friend go over there and snap all kinds of pictures with her phone, ask questions about her suppliers, ingredients, methods, etc. Basically harrass her and make her feel uncomfortable so she'll leave you alone. Maybe even say - loudly - "this is just like ABC Product over at Lynn's booth - why are you copying Lynn? Can't you come up with your own ideas?"