[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Recipes and copyright

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recipes and copyright
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:10 pm 

Hi everyone. I'm very new at making bath and body products. I've made some bombs, bubble bars and wanting to do sugar scrubs/lotions and eventually soap. My question is I'm just learning how to do all this and mostly from watching YouTube, so when a person says feel free to use this recipe just give credit where credit is due, what does that mean? For example such as the bubble bar, everyone uses the soap queens recipe pretty much so if you used the same fragrance and colors like someone else is that copying. Idk, I'm just so new to this I don't wanna break any laws or make anyone mad, that's not my intention at all. Please be nice and please anyone that can input please do so. I need to learn this stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:18 pm 

As far as recipes you see on Soap Queen you are welcome to make them as is, tweak them, whatever you like! Then sell them as you see fit. We put the recipes out there to be used and love it when our customers do so! =)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:40 pm 

Thank you so much. How do you give someone credit for their recipe, does that mean monetary? How else would you give someone recognition other than that if your selling it. I really need to be educated in this. If I change a couple ingredients would I be ok? Thanks for all your input it's greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:08 pm 

If you do a blog or have a site, you can just link back to them, or give them a shout out on your page "This recipe is thanks to the amazing people over at Brambleberry" or so on!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:55 pm 

Thank you so much vanillacharms! I love the videos these girls make they are so inspiring with all their wisdom and character and most of all beautiful products.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:13 am 

Really good question dl8849 - I knit as well as being a new soap maker. This issue come up all the time. I have a lot of my grandma's old "Work Basket" magazines, people will make a couple of changes to lets say a sweater, and say I can't use the pattern. The pattern is clearly the same as the one in the magazine. It gets really confusing. So I always put as seen in such and such article.
Don't know if that helps or not. I love BB this is the best sight. The safety concerns are so well covered, and the people so helpful.
Good luck, can't wait to see pictures of your products!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:02 pm 

Thank you so much for your comment Beccalouise2. It's so confusing and I'm really afraid to post stuff cause I don't know if I'm aloud to use this or that recipe. I hope a lot more experienced soap makers comment on this. I'm still confused on the subject so I hope they put in their 2 cents worth. But I do appreciate all the comments and the fact that they care enough about my question, and a special thank you to the soap queen and BB for the great videos and the help they give to all us soap makers. ❤️

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:55 pm 

If you are posting the recipe or tutorial online then we just like a link back to the original tutorial. :D

If you are just making/selling product then nothing is needed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:42 pm 

I wonder about this, too! What about selling soap, bath bombs, etc. made from someone else's recipe? Or using someone else's idea? If they share it on the internet, is it free for all to use? Do you have to be totally original in your recipe and design to sell it? I don't want to be copying other people, but it seems like someone in the world somewhere probably has already made something just like what I'm making. But then people also talk about getting inspiration from others, from others ideas. So, all you soap makers who sell your soaps; how do you deal with this? With originality, and using other's recipes and ideas?

Bramble Momma, if BB posts a recipe on the soapqueen blog, and a soaper makes that exact recipe and starts selling it, is that okay?

Thank you, dl8849, for asking this question. This bothers me too. I don't want to take other's ideas, but they are sharing it on the internet for all to read, and soapers like get inspiration from each other. When is it okay and when is it not okay to make and sell other's soaps?

I hope some more experienced soapers will comment on this, too!

Thank you, also, Bramble Momma and the rest of Bramble Berry for all the recipes, tutorials, and videos you give to us soap makers! You guys have really done so much to advance the soap making craft and make it fun!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:43 pm 

If someone posts a recipe and a soaper makes that exact recipe and starts selling it, yes, it is okay. If you share the recipe, then give credit to whomever posted the recipe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:20 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:22 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:15 pm 

Thanks soapbuddy and Bramble Momma!! :)