[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - That state is making me crazy!

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:35 pm 

So I've decided to take the leap and early next year I will officially be in the soapy business! But since September I've been gradually writing up my business plan, determining my products and testing them and looking up info on legalities. SNice I moved from Pennsylvania to Washington state obviously the legal side in terms of licensing and taxes and such is completely different!

I initially called a woman in the licensing department for my city to inquire about the licenses I needed. I explained that it would be run from my home in a 99.9% online form and that nobody would be coming to my home and I'm not hiring people etc etc. she tells me I need a UBI number which I get from a basic "Hey I'm starting a business" license and a home occupation license for my city because I won't have a physical shop where I'll be doing everything.

I'm not gonna lie when I became concerned about this. Anyone who thinks about starting a business has this horrible nightmare about being surrounded by literal pounds of documents in lawyer speak that you don't understand! :? Two documents? It has to be more than that right? Right?! So I called my city department of business license and magical questions and asked them if that was really it. They said the city home occupation license was correct and needing a UBI number was also required but told me to call this number for the state for any further licensing that I may need. So I call them and after 15 minutes on hold they confirm those two documents and say I should call my city for more details on more possible paperwork! :evil:

Are you joking?! I am so fed up with this!! All I want to know is if I'm legally covered! :cry:

So I'm probably going to get the paperwork situation solved but I may be starting my business with less hair! :lol:

I'm sorry for the giant post but I'm just needing to rant about how starting a business is a pain and nobody goes into business to do all this paperwork! :roll:

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:58 pm 

good for you pushing thru that paperwork and phone calls. in the end...you will feel really good!! I am very happy for you and I give you a HIP HIP HORRAY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:15 pm 

I sympathize with you. I had to do it all including getting a special permission from the HOA association, since I live in a private gated community.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:14 pm 

Yeah I was worried my gated community was going to try and snub me but it's not owned by a big company. It's one of those "we're our own village on our own gated island" kind of deals so it didn't take any begging on my end! :lol:

But they also knew I wasn't running the ship out of our living room with people coming in and that I wasn't needing any housing construction. Turns out my next door neighbor makes quilts too! So I'm not the only crafter in the bunch! :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:14 am 

Thought I'd post an update for you guys since I haven't been very active:

I got my business license and trade name registered with the state. Didn't trademark it since the price is too high right now but down the line I will. I still have one more license to fill out since the business is being run out of the home. And I have to buy insurance. But everything is coming along smoothly! My boyfriend is very supportive and has actually started to act like a partner! He even said he wants to help pick out the fragrances! :shock: Something he never wanted to do before! I guess it's partly because he's investing but he's really coming into the business! :lol:

Unfortunately the family isn't quite as supportive. My dad is still moping over me moving away :roll: and is trying so badly to get me to move back. My mom is very... Silent on the matter. My sister hasn't spoken to me in month (I have literally no idea why! I didn't do or say anything :? ) and my brother is probably the only family member that has any joy for me. So that department needs work but I'm trying to roll with it.

But January will see the launch of my Etsy shop :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:52 am 

Hi Lhangen,
Sounds like a very big move you made in your life. But that's the thing you have to keep in mind, the big move you made in YOUR life! Not somebody elses life, YOUR life. And I tell you what, we all get one chance to live it. No one else will ever walk a day in YOUR life. We each must choose for ourselves a path that we are willing to walk out and see thru. Sounds like you have some bigger issues that yes, may need some addressing at one point or the other, this is true. But saying that, nobody can put their foot out and take that step FOR you, you must do it yourself, and I apploud you for doing something that you believe in, and doing something that you feel right about doing. It will be hard, nothing in life worth getting is easy, tis true tis true! But here you are, on the brink of opening up a store on Etsy! I say good for you for trying something, good for you for stepping out. Good for you for believing in yourself. Many times in life one must become their biggest advicate. I am happy for you and hear the passion in your voice as you explain your journey and your struggles. Thanks for keeping us updated. Thank you for sharing your story!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:39 pm 

Thanks guys for the nice words! Just waiting on my home occupation license since the holiday season has put everything into slow motion! After that it's getting the bank to approve my business account and making all the proper purchases! :D I already have my social media and etsy shop ready to be dusted off for the endless business I hope to get! :lol: