[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - hot process

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: hot process
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:04 pm 

I made my first hot process batch today. It did not turn out well. Can you rebatch hot process? I don't know if I cooked it too long or if I let it get too cool. I added the f.o. at about 155 f. The soap is not sticking together very well. It is breaking apart where I plopped it together into the mold. Any help would be appreciated. It does not zap.

Marylou

Post subject: Re: hot process
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:05 pm 

What was your recipe, how much did you superfat and what was your method? If it was a small batch, it takes shorter to cook. How long did you cook it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:30 am 

This was a tried and true recipe that I have used for several batches of cold process soap. It was superfatted to 7 percent. Water percent at 38.
25 oz. of oils. 1 oz. of f.o. I cooked it in a crock pot until it turned in on itself and there was a small puddle of oil in the center. I stirred it up and cooked for another 10 or 15 min. It looked shiny like vaseline. I let it cool to about 160 and stirred in the f.o. Then I plopped it in the mold and squashed it down with my hands. After letting it cool and harden I cut it and it separates into chunks that appear to be where it is plopped together. It is mild and suds nicely. How long should hot process be cooked? Can it be rebatched?

MaryLou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:19 am 

That's a pretty small batch. I cook mine on low. It never turns over. I stir til it gets to the vaseline stage. Let cool just a bit, add fragrance, then glop into the mold. I would say mine was done in about 45 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:32 pm 

It floats ! I tried a piece in the bath today and it floats. Does all hp float or is this a clue to why my soap is separating into chunks? I love that it floats and it is a very nice bar. Irena, I did cook it on low. I think I just cooked too long and maybe stirred it too much after adding the f.o. Maybe incorporated a lot of air into it. I decided not to try to rebatch but to use it as is.

MaryLou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:26 pm 

If you stirred a lot, you got trapped air in it. That's why it floats. :)