[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Wholesale

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wholesale
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:17 am 

I've got a couple questions from both sides of the wholesale perspective:

First, does anyone know of any good wholesale sites? It really hadn't occurred to me until I found a site that sells baskets and fiber bags wholesale (basketwholesalers.com) - you can't see the prices until you register with your tax ID number and become a member. I would love to find a few wholesale sites for supplies and other accessories, like soap dishes or pumice exfoliators and such.

Second, if anyone sells their products wholesale, what is the price that wholesalers expect to buy from you? Is it typically 1/2 the retail, or 2/3 the retail? If you sell wholesale, do you keep your product retail price high to be able to make any profit? I am asking because when I look at pricing my items, I don't want to be ridiculously expensive where no one will buy, but if I come down in price and eventually do any wholesale, I won't really make enough for it to be worth all the work.

To price my items, I look at the cost of my supplies for that batch, the cost of labels and ink, the cost of labor, and tax if the buyer is local. Some calculators say to also estimate what profit you should make, some don't.

Just as an aside, I hate dealing with taxes. I find people more reluctant to buy if you add tax to the sale price, but if you incorporate it into the price of the soap, they don't complain.

Post subject: Re: Wholesale
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:45 pm 

do you have a pc. if so, you would do well to get Soapmaker it allows you to put in your cost of supplies so you can see how much you are charging for each product. It might help in you deciding what you want to get for a wholesale cost.

Post subject: Re: Wholesale
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:13 pm 

Wholesale is usually your cost (product, labor, overhead) x 2. And retail is usually your wholesale cost x 2.

In some states you have to charge taxes separately and can't have it be as part of the price of the product, I know that's how we have to do it in WI.
I've had a couple people get irritated at being charged tax which is strange since they're charged taxes when they shop anywhere else.