[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Preserving?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Preserving?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:26 pm 

Hello. I would like to make my introduction to this fabulous group. I'm new to soap making and will be mostly using hpop. May I ask what preservative I should use that will survive the temp of the oven? I don't get paid for another 2 weeks so I can't order anything to be used as a preserv from Brambleberry yet, so what can I buy that is inexpensive to use as a preserv for hpop until then? Also, I know I read before about using calcium carbonate somewhere and now I can't find out what its use is and how to use it. I would also like to ask if I may, what stearic acid and sodium lactate are used for? I have read so much and am so very tired and confused lol. I've done my best to start writing everything down in a binder. May God bless yall and I'm sorry for being a bother. Thanks in advance from this sleepy noob ;)

Please oh please help me. I don't want anyone to get sick from using my hpop soap if I don't put any preservatives in my soap in the morning when I make it. I read that vit e and tea tree oil is basically useless for preserving and I don't know what else I can use that I may have or can find in our small town......

Post subject: Re: Preserving?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:29 am 

When making cp or hp soap, you do not need a preservative. You can use stearic acid or sodium lactate to harden the bars faster making it easier to unmold them especially if you are using a silicone mold. Not sure on the calcium carbonate but that sounds like something I need to look into for a soap for my husband.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:16 am 

May God truly bless you for helping me. I read in some place that they may mold before you get a chance to sell them if you use fruit purees. I won't be using them with this batch though. Do I need to freeze my milk, oatmeal, and honey cpop due to the milk and honey after it is done in the morning?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 am 

Just as long as you add the puree as a part of your liquid and add it at the beginning, you should have no problems with mold. Calcium carbonate is used in chalk for blackboards and in antacids. It's a calcium salt. I'm not sure what that would do in soap. If you want a harder bar, you can use salt or sodium lactate. If you are doing your soap as CPOP, you should not need to put it in the freezer unless you have a hard time getting the soap out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:59 pm 

Thanks so much for helping me. You are so sweet. I know I've read this all somwhere but I couldn't find the posts again.