[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Shouldn't donating be easy???

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:57 pm 

My husband and I got a "new" couch from his sister, so we're TRYING to give our old one away. Goodwill says "Oh! We can certainly come and pick that up for you! Just call this number 1-800-**** and arrange a date." So I call. They REQUIRE a $100 "donation" and some legal waivers. Um. I'm giving you a huge sectional couch with a sofa bed and you want more? WTF?! I tell them I can't afford $100 right now, and that the couch will just go in the trash if no one takes it: "Oh, well its too bad that you are greedy with your money and won't donate to help the needy." And this is where I hung up. We've donated well over $3000 worth of clothes, shoes, and small electronics to them already this year, and now want to donate furniture. How does that make us greedy? We have taxes due this month and can't afford a random $100.

Makes me wonder what the world is coming to when something like a nice free couch isn't good enough anymore. When did donating items become such a hassle? And when did monetary "donations" become required? Ugh.

I called the local Goodwill and spoke to their manager, she is furious with the folks at the head office and told us to ignore them and just bring the couch to her. She even apologized for the way the lady on the phone treated me and said she will personally talk to them because required donations are ridiculous. I'm glad SOMEONE is happy that we want the couch to go to someplace where it will be used, rather than the curb.

/end rant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:55 pm 

Sounds to me like someone was trying to pocket some money! :shock:
I mean just send $100? In what, cash or check? That sounded super fishy and I'm glad you didn't do it.

Some people don't know the meaning of charity! :x

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:43 pm 

It's always been like that with them. I remember my friend going through the same hassle back in the 90's when she tried to donate her couch, but I think at the time they tried to charge her a $50 "pick up fee". She said forget it and donated it to a local church who knew a family that needed it.

Personally for the last several years I have found local places to donate to, one is a church with a store to help the poor and the other is a domestic violence shelter for women. I feel that my donations actually go to good use and people aren't charged a ridiculous price to buy them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:11 am 

Goodwill charges a $100 donation in our city as well when coming to pick up something. Plus, since we live just outside city limits, we get an extra $50 charged on top of that. I like how they call it a "donation" but it's required. I'm not sure why they don't just say that there's a pick up fee, because that I can understand. We also have another church based thrift store (also has 2 local area homeless shelters, an adult education program and a workplace program) that will come and pick up large items for free, plus they give you a coupon to get a % off in their thrift store. We tend to donate a lot of our stuff to them or Savers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:42 am 

Our church has a huge yard sale once a year so that's where my large items go. Our local Habitat for Humanity will come pick up large items for no charge. I can understand a small fee of maybe $10-15 to pick up a big item, but it's ridiculous that Goodwill requires a "donation" of $100.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 am 

I don't really no any other place locally that would take the couch. Mostly because I'm either at work, or at home, and don't do a lot of community based stuff. I've never actually SEEN anything community based. Not even a yard sale in the 2 years I've been here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:15 am 

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:18 am 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:54 pm 

Are you just wanting to get rid of it? I know of quite a few local/consignment pages and groups on Facebook for my area. There may be for yours as well? Just be careful, as always with the internet, who and where you meet! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:16 am 

If it comes down to just needing to get rid of it, put it by the curb in the evening with a sign that says " $100 ". Chances are it will be gone by morning. That's how it works around my neighborhood at least. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:49 am 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:58 pm 

Oh, I wasn't meaning an actual store front, sorry, may not have described that well. I belong to a few 'groups' on FB that are just people, like you or me, that post stuff they want to sell or get rid of. Usually mom groups selling kids used toys or clothing but there are many others as well. If you want to search on FB there may be some set up for your area as well. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:33 am 

Heather, do you have a Freecycle yahoo group in your area? They are a wonderful way to get rid of unwanted items.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 am 

Nope, no freecycle in my area. :( Was one of the first things I looked for after moving here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:36 am