[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - I'm conflicted...

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I'm conflicted...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:04 pm 

So I'm pretty steamed today (more than I probably should be) and I don't know if I should be mad or not. I feel like I should be a little but I'd like others perspective. Plus this lets me vent and it'll chill out my rage.

So this one soap maker on YouTube (you'll probably know her but I'll keep her anonymous so you guys will be impartial) from the UK has a business of soap and other beauty products. She hadn't made videos in a while (I think she was sick or had surgery or something? She didn't mention anything on YouTube) so it had been a few months with white noise. This month I noticed she had some activity-favoriting videos. She was favoriting videos on religious topics. Specifically Christianity. She claimed in an old video that she is a "not in your face Christian". The born again religious woman. Okay, she can favorite the video. Glad to know she's at least alive!

So a few more religious video favorites later and still no videos. Okay she's getting better. Then recently she uploaded her first video in several months! Finally, am I right?! Eh... Maybe not. It was a video asking a question of her fans: Are you a Christian or not? Like if you are. She also said dislike if you aren't.

Okay... That's... Odd... No videos for months and this is how you start the new year? I felt uncomfortable. Not because I'm not a Christian. I was uncomfortable because it was just plain weird. She claimed to not care yet this video made it seem like she did. So I commented saying this was pretty uncomfortable and left. I later unsubbed because it felt way too weird and I just wanted to wait to see if it continued. Boy did I make a mistake! :? :shock:

The woman replied to me herself! Here I'm thinking "oh good she's taking feedback and maybe will explain her reason for asking!" WRONG! She got really defensive saying it's her channel, it's not just for soap, she isn't against any religion, it shouldn't make anyone uncomfortable and... Get this! Since I haven't commented on any videos that she knows of I must not be a viewer, sub, fan or know ANYTHING about her or her channel! EXCUSE ME?! I was a sub and I watched tons of her videos! The only reason I never comment is because she replies to her new videos for like a week and then fades away. She has a lot of videos but it doesn't encourage new viewers to communicate. Frankly I'm angry. I felt her attitude towards me. She acted like her channel was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'll tell her something my channel has been around for less than two years and I already have half her views and subs. So she can back up! She called me a hater and it really opened my eyes. Am I wrong to be as angry as I am? I feel like she insulted me when I gave honest feedback! :cry:

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!

Post subject: Re: I'm conflicted...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:09 pm 

Oh and I forgot to mention this important bit of info: in one of dan comments a woman wrote something similar to...I'm Christian but this question is kind of weird/uncomfortable" to which the channel creator replied "this question shouldn't make you uncomfortable so how Christian can you REALLY be if you aren't proud to talk about your religion?" That's not the perfect wording but she said that. With really in all caps. Seriously?

And the other comment was between an obvious friend of hers who was a Christian too. The girl was nice and bible something or whatever. The channel creators reply was something like "well all my Christian viewers/fans are welcome on my channel". Not all her viewers/fans. Her CHRISTIAN viewers and fans.

If you have a business and a YouTube channel promoting it you can do what you want; nobody is arguing that. But does that mean you SHOULD do whatever you want? Business shouldn't have any real political or religious leanings. That's just me. The owner can do whatever but when it becomes a part of the business (especially when it has nothing to do with what you sell. How is soap political? Or religious) it should be neutral so as not to offend or cause anyone discomfort.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:17 am 

Was her Youtube channel a business channel? If it's specifically a business channel and her business isn't centered around religion, then yeah I can see how it would seem not relative to the subject.

If she didn't want honest feedback, then she shouldn't have asked the question. Even as a Catholic, I would find it uncomfortable if a business not related to religion asked me about my religion. I would never go on my FB business page and ask, "Are you Jewish or not?" or "Are you Muslim or not?" Someone's religion, sexual orientation, race and political views are irrelevant when it comes to a non-religious business.

I say just ignore her channel and find a new awesome soapy channel ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:39 am 

Religion, politics and sex. These are some subjects that are to be tread carefully. Some are comfortable with them others are not. I would say choose another channel to watch. She does have a right to post her views but I am sure those that are uncomfortable will leave her. I used to watch Nancy today, because she was quirky. Now after I see how she is "instructing" people in the way of soap making I have avoided her channel completely, don't want to encourage her.
So take a deep breath, you have already canceled the channel, now find someone else to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am 

I agree with Genny. If it was a business/soap centered channel, and suddenly she starts talking about religion that's going to ruffle some feathers. She's right that it's her channel and she can do whatever she wants, but she shouldn't be so surprised that when she makes a totally different kind of video that people react poorly.

Also just because she can post whatever she wants, that's no excuse for treating people rudely just because they didn't like it, especially being 'holier than thou' about the christian nonsense. I think maybe whatever has happened to her recently has maybe caused her to want to be more in tune with her faith, maybe even spurred her to change the sorts of videos she's going to post now, but she's obviously not getting what she wanted out of it, at least not entirely.

If she had enjoyed any kind of following prior to this, I'm sure you're not the only one who unsubbed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:20 pm 

Thanks guys. I'm not missing out on too much and I already have a few channels that I sub to. I just wish I knew why she went off the rails on the crazy faith train :?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:07 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 pm 

Maybe she got brainwashed.
I never mix religion, politics and soapmaking. Let it go and move on.