[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Ideal percentages for lye/water

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:42 pm 

Hello,
I have been making CP soap for just a few months now with (mostly!) good results, and am beginning to formulate my own recipes using a good soap calc. I am wondering if anyone knows of the best or ideal percentage for water as % of oils, as well as the lye concentration (%). The soap calc recommends 38% water as a safe bet, but I am wondering if more experienced soapers strive for a different number? Also, is there a range for lye concentration? Seems all of mine are between 25.75% and 29% lye.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:02 pm 

It really depends on your formula and if you are using behaving fragrances. I do a 40% lye solution for plain castille, but back off to 38% for my regular formula. You will need to find what is ideal for you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:17 am 

Libby, thanks for asking...this has been a question floating in my head since January, which is when I changed from using soap calc to the soapmaker 3 program. Water percentage and lye solution strength(concentration) are dependant on each other? Is this always the same? Like 27% lye concentration is 36% of water.

Libby, to answer your question I have used mostly 38% water, but every now and then I dropped it to 36%. I am sure that was to experiment or if I wanted a little less water to have to dry out from my bars.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:43 am 

I usually use 38% water unless I am doing castille, then I do a 10% discount.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:31 am 

if you have ipad or iphone you can try this "soap calc pro" it's has autobalance function. It's calculate different variants of your recipe and show you best one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:39 am 

Having tried the 'normal' amount of water in soapcalc I find it to be way too much, the bars noticeably show shrinking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:00 pm 

I have a bar of soap that I have been monitoring for shrinkage. It was born on 9-29-11 and at time of unmolding one day later weighed 4.73oz. I used a lye concentration of 28%/ water percentage of 36%. This bar of soap had continued to loose weight until this month. On the 27th of Feb (and the same on 3-26-12) this bar weighed 3.77oz. That is a reduction of 20.3%. This is more than what I had expected. So I am starting to study the water amounts and decide what might be better. I have also switched to the soap maker 3 program which changed up how I recored the amount of water requested... made me have to study this. I will continue to weigh this bar of soap for the next 2-3 months to see if it has really stablized. So why should I even care? Well if I lable the soaps at time of cure this soap would have weighed 4.06 oz; I would have put 4oz on the lable... but that is now less than what it really is/would have been.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:51 pm 

Thanks for the useful information. I applaud your use of scientific method. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:33 pm 

From you I take that as a great compliment !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:49 am 

Libby, as I understand it, water % is the weight of water with respect to your oil weight.

Lye concentration is the weight of lye with respect to your water.

So a 50% lye concentration would be a 1:1 ratio of lye:water. This is the highest you can go and have all the lye dissolve and it's dependent upon your water temperature (cooler water absorbs less).

Some very experienced soapers use a lye concentration of 40% or even higher as their default.

I am not that experienced so I generally use about 33-34% which works out to roughly as a 1:2 ratio of lye:water. That cuts back on shrinkage but is still generous enough if I want to swirl. If I'm using a misbehaving fragrance or need more time for some reason, I up the water.

For castille, I use 40% lye concentration.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:00 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 pm 

These conversations stimulate more questions. I am wondering if adding beeswax to your recipe will slow down the water weight loss? I don't use beeswax but thought I'd ask this question as it just popped into my head.

I have the soapmaker program and haven't even tried to figure it out yet! LOL

~bytheSEAsoap~ Mella bythesea, bythesea, bythebeautiful sea

海の皂

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:00 pm 

I use beeswax in almost every batch and the bar still shrinks about the same as non-beeswax batches I've made.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:32 am 

The next question would be - if I lowered the water weight the percentage of weight loss should also go down. This is based on that fact that there is less water in the bar. Of course I would have to have a FO\EO that I knew would not cause me grief. My next batches are going to be fruit (for the summer) so I could go with minimum water and check out one bar over the next 6 months. So the challenge is on!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:24 am 

Minimum water is fine, just make sure that you don't use accelerating FO or EO and run it through a lye calc.