[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Hunter's Scent Away CP Soap

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:25 pm 

I have seen and also purchased (for son!) this type of soap. I actually purchased one that smelled like and was labeled "DIRT"! I am searching for a receipe for this type of soap. Does any have one or know where I could locate one? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 pm 

There are "Dirt" FO's that you might want to check out. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:02 pm 

I made a soap for my grandsons with MMS's Earth FO. I did it as a joke, so that they could wash with dirt. What surprised me was that we had 4 different friends who had grown up on farms that fell in love with the soap. They said that it smelled liked freshly turned over fields, in the spring. I just used one of my normal soap recipes. I've heard that hunters also like soap made with the Earth scent mixed with some pine or cedar. HTH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:36 pm 

I may be wrong here, but I thought "Hunter's Soap" was made with Anise essential oil? At least I hope so as I just made a batch, one for hunters and one for fishermen?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:47 pm 

Very Interesting! I googled it & found the "DIRT"! Thanks ... I had no idea they made such a thing!

Where is MMS? It sounds like a good idea to to add pine or cedar. I didn't think of just using any receipe.

Regarding the "Anise" .... I am getting mixed on that, too, but I mostly have seen the "Anise" in a "Fisherman's Friend" soap and a different soap for Hunter's. But I have also seen soap that is marketed for both. Now I am wondering if you can add "Neem Oil" to either of the previos soaps for the insect repellant? Otherwise, our outdoorsman may have to shower with 2 bars!

Thanks for all of your replies! So nice to have some "soap buddies". Looking forward to chatting with you all!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:28 pm 

Fish like anise oil better. I would leave the neem out, or make a separate sop with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 pm 

Fishermans soap = anise and Hunters soap = dirt/mud WSP has a fo called "dirt" and the reviews say it is dead on. A lot of reviewers said they used it for Hunters soap, but some did them as a joke for kids, whos' parents ended up liking it! :lol:

As for a recipe, you just use any recipe you want and add that for the fragrance. I am sure a lot of companies sell something in the dirt/mud line, so just check the reviews and have fun!

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:37 am 

MMS (thesage.com) is located in northern Utah. They give you a lot of options on shipping.

The fishermen here like the anise soap and the hunters like the dirt soap with the cedar and/or pine. You could make an insect-repellent spray for them to use. It's usually so cold here during the hunting season that there are no insects!

-Cathy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:43 am 

I used just a regular soap recipe and then added a combination of fragrance oils
Dirt .75 tbsp
Sweetgrass .75 tbsp
Cedarwood E/O .75 tbsp
Fir needle E/O .25 tbsp

I made my soap look like camoflauge with 4 different colors; dark sage green, tan, medium brown and light green.
The batch I made made 16 bars, I think I might have 6 left. DH hunts, my brother, neice and nephew, BIL and FIL all hunt, so I went through a bunch when I gave it away. I made it in late June and it was ready to go for deer hunting season.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:45 am 

OK soapbuddy, I will start washing my fish with anise oil soap from now on!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:54 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm 

This is all good stuff! Thanks so much, everyone! I'm ordering the ingredients this evening and can't wait to get set for a batch of soaps for the Men in my life!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:22 pm 

Bayougirl --that's a great combination. i bet the hunters appreciated your efforts. Did they say if it worked for them? I don't have any hunters in my family, but have always been interested in whether the soap would work. The anise soap didn't work for us when we went fishing. I guess the fish didn't know they were suppose to like it. :lol: Actually, I learned about the anise from some Japanese fisherment. They said it masked the smell of humans. I'm not sure if I buy that. Do fish smell? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Okay, they do to me!

-Cathy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:20 pm 

It actually worked for those that used it, my Nephew and Niece saved it (for what I don't know) instead of using it. DH used it and passed some onto a guy he works with (he's in the woods all the time), but I haven't heard anything back from him, he' a real die hard hunter. I only have to buy pork or chicken, we have a freezer full of deer meat that we eat all the time. DH shot 3 deers this past November.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:07 am 

One of my books has a recipe for camouflage soap that uses a tea made from birch and white oak bark, oakmoss absolute, frazer fir EO, and spruce EO. It says the barks are very astringent and removes the oils that carry the human scent. Don't know if it works or not, but it sounds interesting! :P