[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Honey Soap

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Honey Soap
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:25 pm 

Last night I made my first batch of a honey and beeswax soap. I unmolded it tonight and found that a good amount of the honey sank to the bottom (now the top) and it looks like it never dissolved. I also gave it the zap test and it failed (it might be too soon for it to pass but I'm not sure). My questions arewhat can I do with it now and why might this have happened? By the way I put it in the fridge for a full 24 hours.

Post subject: Re: Honey Soap
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:01 am 

It's possible that you did not reach true trace. At what temp did you soap at? When I use honey, I hold back some of the water from the lye water amount, mix it, then add this to the cooled off lye.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:11 am 

I soaped at 120. I had a 6% super fat and used 1oz of honey (I was only making a 1lb batch) that I mixed in at the end when I would usually add the FO. I had read that it would harden up very quickly so I didn't use my stick blender. I think you are right in the fact that I didn't get a true trace.

If I were going to do a re-batch would it matter if it still zaps?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:54 pm 

1 oz. of honey to 1 lb. of soap is too much. Next time try 1 TBS. of honey for a 1 lb. batch. I would try to rebatch. If it still zaps after, then trash it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:26 pm 

I found that I also need to heat the honey up a little to get the honey to mix in all the way. And I have always used the stick blender. I just need to move quickly to get it in the mold when I get to a light trace.

Momma
www.MommasHome.com