[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - I did something so stupid

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:16 am 

I was feeling to make a very rich and wonderfully scented rhassoul soap that would have a simple but nice aspect (only a line of red mica that would "cut" the dark beige colour given by rhassoul).

So I made the soap. All was working very well : I poured the soap and sprinkled the red OXYDE. Then, when I poured the rest of the soap on the red "line", woups ! I saw that the trace was not enough heavy. I thought : ok, I will swirl all that and this will still be very nice. I put the batch in the fridge and well, the soaps are very nice except that I will have to throw away (?) the whole thing because the red oxyde tints everything.

I don't know where was my brain, as I did not realize that I was using oxyde instead of mica. I think that it takes a lot more micas than oxyde to tint c.p. soap... I have used something like 3/4 teaspoon of red oxyde for one kilo.25 of soap (maybe less...) The swirl is very nice, but it will tint the washclothes in red. (this soap is good for cooked lobsters)

I made some soaps in the past with a line of micas and everything has worked well. I think that oxydes (neither ultramarines) should be used for this purpose. I feel sorry because I had used pretty expensive e.o. and the blend is very good (IMO). One of the very few times since years, where I feel to thrash a batch...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:07 pm 

That's too bad. Oxides don't work the same way as micas. Can you rebatch?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:34 am 

Oh no, I don't think of rebatching that. Therefore I always hesitate to thrash a batch. This is too bad that I have been distracted at that point. Maybe I will change my mind, but I actually have no time to work on something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:53 am 

did youthink of using it as a childrens color soap? they work great, and kids around here love them when i make them they always sell so fast :0)

Danielle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:28 pm 

Katie, in that case, I would have to rebatch it (I made a swirl, so the powder is kind of "suspended" (sorry, I have problem to express that in English) . I just leave it cure. The smell is very good... I will see what happens with that, but after a try, I realize that the water runs red when I use it. (I think it is good for the thrashbin...)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:50 pm 

Here's a thought....can you cut off the worst parts of the soap where the powder or color is? Then quickly rinse the soap and rebatch?