[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Silk in soap

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Silk in soap
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:09 am 

Can anyone tell me the benefits of adding silk to soap? I have a book by Alicia Grosso which mentions silk fibres, powder, and liquid. She says you can also use pieces of silk fabric, dissolved in the lye for CP. Does silk really do anything to soap, or is it just another selling point? I love the thought of it, and am going to try it at least once, but would like opinions from anyone who's used it. Thanks
BTW, I googled "liquid silk", and got a surprise. Not what I was looking for at all. :oops:

Post subject: Re: Silk in soap
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:05 am 

I use about a pea size piece per lb. of soap. It makes the soap silky. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:29 am 

I use liquid silk that I purchased from BB and it does give the soap a different silky feel. It seems to glide over the skin nicely. My test group ( women I work with, the women from the place I get my hair cut and the local bank tellers ) tell me that the silk soap feels in their words " just divine".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:57 pm 

I've been fine tuning my base recipe and have added liquid silk. I would honestly say that it is the best soap I have made! I love it.

I did make a mistake the first time I added liquid silk - I added it at trace and it made the soap streaky. It's best to add it to the cooled lye.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:35 am 

Thanks everyone. It seems to be a good thing. I can't wait to find out for myself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:58 pm 

Everyone here has peaked my interest here! I want to try it now... Does anyone charge more for this? or do you just include it to make your bar super awesome! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:27 pm 
Peaked my curiosity as well. I'll purchase some liquid from BB. Ok....I've got that it's added to cooled lye water. But how much PPO? Also, I like to soap around 110 - 115 F. Is this too hot to add the liquid silk?

Thanks from the invisible man.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:19 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:57 am 
Soapbuddy, after mentioning this to my wife she suggested trying a piece of silk fabric. I'm Italian and have some good silk shirts that have gotten damaged or permanently stained. One is a Giorgio Armani and it kills me that it can no longer be worn due to staining that occurred during winter storage. I'm thinking of sacrificing it for the good of soapmaking. Before I cut, and completely destroy the shirt, I just want to make sure this will work....from soapmaking perspective.

Could I cut about a 1 cm square piece of material from the shirt then put it directly into the lye water? I'm guessing it will completely dissolve. Should I wait until the lye water cools to my soaping temperature (110 to 115 F) or add it while it's still hot?

Thanks Soapbuddy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:50 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:28 am 
Thanks Soapbuddy. I'll let you know how it turns out. Can't wait to try it out!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:52 pm 

I have a beautiful Turkish silk scarf sent to me by a friend. As I never wear scarves, I was very tempted to try it, :oops: but managed to behave myself, so I'll be waiting anxiously for the result of your shirt test.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:58 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:01 am 

Try visiting a fabric store and looking for remnant pieces of raw silk fabric. I got a chunk for about a dollar that had enough fabric for thirty or forty pounds of soap.

If I'm using fabric, I generally kind of snip it into little shreds and then let it soak in the water before I add the lye. It seems to help it dissolve completely.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm 

Thanks for that tip, Magic Hands. I thought of trying silk embroidery thread, also. I'm off to the haberdashery shop next shopping day to see what I can find!