[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Lilac Disaster Part 2

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lilac Disaster Part 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:06 am 

I am a glutton for punishment. After my first lilac disaster, I decided to give it a go again.

I used a recipe that I've made maybe 20 batches with using my new molds. It behaved well in each of those batches. Last night, I decided to soap very, very cool--lye was at about 89 degrees and oils were at maybe 86. All good. Poured in fo, colored, molded. Covered top with wooden lid and covered with three blankets to ensure a good gel. I normally do CPOP (and I detest florals) so this wrapping and bundling is trial and error for me, but I thought the worst that would happen is that it overheats after all even after the low mixing temps.

I took a peek this am and there were tons of little liquid bubbles on the top--lye water (ask me how I know!). The soap was still very soft and a little warm with just a skin on the top though it had been 8 hours in the mold. I have never seen little lye bubbles before but have had problems with this FO before.

So, did I mix too low to saponify the soap?

Is there a chance that the bubbles will absorb if I actually leave it in the mold for 24 hours?

Do florals like lilac sometimes remain softer than other fos?

Any thoughts?

Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 am 
I soap with Lilac and haven't experienced like that before. But I typically mix ingredients around 115 to 120 then force gel in warm oven.

Is it possible that covering with a hard cover top caused condensation inside? I cover but with something that breathes....like a towel. But you said it was definitely bubbles of lye water. This might be one for the experts but I'm leaning toward condensation inside the covered mold.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:26 am 

I have had 2 fo s over the years that have produced a huge oil slick during the cure. Both times I was sure I had messed up somewhere and repeated it. The same thing happened again. One was a BB Christmas fo that was very popular and had no complaints from anyone else. I even had the great customer service crew review my secret recipe and none of us could figure why that was happening.( Sometimes I think it may have to do with the fat content in my goats milk--- each one probably has a different percentage, but I know that's not your problem :) )

My point is that sometimes it's just the fo and your recipe. For example, I can make BB Chai Tea and Soapbuddy can't. Soapbuddy!!! Now she can make a million other soaps that I can't so I don't mind having 1 :lol: I have made BB's lilac , in fact it's one of my staples. If you want to experiment, maybe try another brand of lilac fo but remember that most floral fos are not easy.

Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:10 pm 

Sounds to me like you didn't reach true trace. When you soap that low, there's always a chance that some of the oils will start to solidify as you add the lye water. If all your measurements were correct can you rebatch?

:lol: Chai Tea & I are not friends.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:22 pm 

Yes, my measurements were 100% correct thanks to my new $140 scale that does everything but rub my feet. So maybe it wasn't true trace but it sure looked like it when I poured! I have never soaped that low so this was a new experience for me!!! I have done RT lye with 125 oils, and hot lye with cold oils, but never both in the 80s-early 90's range.

Thanks everyone. Never thought about the condensation--might be it. I am just going to see how it goes tonight and maybe it will absorb back in. . or not.

Otherwise, I will rebatch somewhere down the line. No need to waste good soap!

Thanks again everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:41 pm 

Oh! I want a scale that rubs my feet! Mine is just a $20.00 cheepe. I agree that low temps made you think you had trace. I use BB Lilac every year ( just made some) and is soaps fine. Try 110 degrees next time. Good luck it's a great springtime FO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:17 pm 

I recently made a batch of goat's milk & soaped at 80 degrees for both the lye solution & oils. I used the soap for the first time the other day & it's my favorite batch so far! In general, what is the lowest temp that is safe to soap at for milk soaps? For non-milk ospa, I generally stay around 110 degrees. What are some consequences for soaping too low?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 pm 

Some consequences for soaping too low: not getting a true trace, not mixed properly or getting white specs/pieces in your soap due to stearic acid that solidified from one of your base soapmaking oils.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:00 pm 

I unmolded tonight and the lye/water bubbles (separation) were gone but the soap is lye heavy (alas). .I had another batch that I soaped exactly the same (same temp, same recipe, different fo) at the same time and it is fine. I guess this is going to be rebatched but I am going to wait another week and test the ph again to see how it has changed.

At the end of the day, it could have been a false trace although both batches were at a visible trace when I poured. It wasn't condensation because the bubbles were definitely lye heavy. It could also be the FO which isn't BBs Lilac and I had a problem with this FO before with my first lilac batch using this vendor's version.

I will let you know how the test goes in a week for the lye. Thanks everyone!

Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:57 am 

lilac always misbehaves for me, too. we have a hate-hate relationship. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:07 am 

Wow! Great soaps. I love the look of the sweet feesia. Wish we had 'smellacomp'. You did really good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:11 am 

Sorry Lisa if I confused you... don't know what happened - that last post was to go under soapchicks... I am working one handed and must of confused my buttons! :oops: