[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Royal Blue Labcolor

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Royal Blue Labcolor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:59 am 

I attempted to use Royal Blue lab colors in 2 45 oz batches this weekend--one was CPOP and one was Goatsmilk non gell.

The goatsmilk initially looked GREEN and has now faded to GRAY. The CPOP was intially GREEN and now has faded to TRANSLUCENT GRAY. Obviously, I am not looking to waste more $$ testing this color on my own and was hoping someone has some experience using this lab color and can give me the 411.

I do use a high percentage of olive pomace (about 30%) but this color was listed under the high percentage olive oil category. Please advise with a success story!

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Post subject: Re: Royal Blue Labcolor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:33 am 

Besides pomace, I don't know what the rest of your recipe is, but if you don't use enough it will turn gray.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:44 am 

You are going to fall off your chair. . .I used 4 heaping TBLS of blue in one third of each batch (so in 19 oz with the water/lye). . . conversely, it only took 1 TBLS of red velvet for the other third for a great color. So based on their recommendations in the pamphlet, they are suggesting 3 TBL per pound soap. So I added too much color. But that also means that their recommendation is then 9 TBL per 3 lb loaf--that would be like 4.5 oz of color which seems really high to me compared to any other color I have tried to use in the lab colors. And then I did it again with another recipe for the goatsmilk, didn't gel, and it happened again. Finally another forum member, probably thinking I was nuts, did it herself and apparently she also got gray.

Have you ever used that color? I know you have your own but not sure if you or anyone on the forum has figured out the key to this one.

Thanks!

Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:16 pm 

Wow, that is a lot! Could you make a small batch without the goat's milk, use light color olive oil and gel? I know sometimes FD&C colors do get darker if they gel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:33 pm 

I'd be happy to test that color for you tomorrow and tell you how it goes for me. It could be that the color was mislabeled or perhaps mis-formulated. I'll know when I make the batch tomorrow.

Couple questions:

1. "4 heaping TBLS of blue" - Is this of the diluted Labcolor? If so, are you doing the 10 mls in 8 oz. water for a dilution rate?

2. I shockingly don't have any GM at Bramble Berry right now so I'll mimic the yellow with a generous serving of beeswax and use super yellow-y oils like jojoba and sunflower in my batch.

3. Any fragrance that I should try or just make whatever I'm in the mood for?

4. I'll probably do a layer with another color - maybe another blue for contrast - is that okay with you?

Sound good? Thanks for letting me know about the issue. I'll get right on it! =)

Anne-Marie
blog: www.soap-queen.blogspot.com
supplies: www.brambleberry.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:42 pm 

Oh please help~!

Here are answers below in CAPS.

4 heaping TBLS of blue" - Is this of the diluted Labcolor? If so, are you doing the 10 mls in 8 oz. water for a dilution rate? DILUTED LABCOLORS (THE 10 ML IN 8 OZ)

2. I shockingly don't have any GM at Bramble Berry right now so I'll mimic the yellow with a generous serving of beeswax and use super yellow-y oils like jojoba and sunflower in my batch. I MADE 2 BATCHES WITH SAME EXACT COLOR RESULT, 1 WITH GM AND 1 CPOP SO YOU DON'T NEED GM. FOR THE SECOND RECIPE, I USED ABOUT 30% OLIVE POMACE BUT NO SUNFLOWER OR OTHER YELLOW OIL, BUT DID USE 1 OZ OF JOJOBA AT TRACE TO HELP MIX IN COLORS

3. Any fragrance that I should try or just make whatever I'm in the mood for?
I USED RELAXING FOR THE GM, AND GINGERFISH WITH A LITTLE BERGAMOT FOR THE CPOP BUT IF I WERE YOU AND HAD TONS OF SMELLS AT MY DISPOSAL, GO CRAZY!!!

4. I'll probably do a layer with another color - maybe another blue for contrast - is that okay with you?
THAT IS GREAT. . JUST TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO USE THE COLORS TO THEIR BEST ADVANTAGE.

THANKS THANKS THANKS! You will tell me if you get gray too, right??

Sound good? Thanks for letting me know about the issue. I'll get right on it! =)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:50 pm 

Definitely will let you know how the tests go and replace your colors if need be. =)

Anne-Marie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:41 pm 

I made the soap today! I'll let you know how it goes after gel phase. I see what you mean about the green. I did Sky Blue and the Royal Blue and the Sky Blue looked super blah green until I had added enough.

The Royal Blue looks like a dark navy (whoops, I may have gone overboard). Definitely a blue but not the 'royal royal royal' blue that I'd like to see it.

Keep you posted ... :)

Anne-Marie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:10 pm 

I can't wait to see the results! In the CPOP, I only got "navy" from the mica (which then turned light blue) so I can't wait to see how to do it. ..

As for the GM soap, I think that one is just a waste again. .. .tan, tan, more tan no matter what I do (except for oxides). . so let's not even worry about fixing that one!

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:26 pm 

I just peeked at it and so far, it's a dark deep rich navy. I'll unmold it in a few days and post the photos Monday. I'm really anxious to see how it looks! =)

Anne-Marie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:20 am 

I too am having trouble with the royal blue lab color. Mine also turned a grey/green in goat's milk recipe, same recipe that I should without goat's milk. I do have to say tho, I have made goat's milk recipe with 2 other lab colors and the color is holding up nicely, no gel on both. I have mixed my lab colors correctly per instructions, did them all the same day, same way. I make sure I shake the bottle before using the lab colors so I know that the color hasn't settled to the bottom, so I'm not sure what happened when I used the royal blue.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:03 am 

Lisa, how did the Red Velvet turn out? I think you said you got good color with that. Pamper Pantry was looking to make a red soap or one with a red and black swirl on another thread. I have the Red Velvet Labcolor now and I'm shooting for cranberry. I also have some black to darken it. Did you get a good red with the Red Velvet Labcolor by itself?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:24 am 

I haven't used the red velvet by itself. . spotted cat, didn't you?

Sorry! And it my goatsmilk, it ended up turning completely tan through and through. Not going to waste $ coloring goatsmilk anymore!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 am 

Thanks, Lisa.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:36 pm 

Yes I've used velvet red lab color. I don't use them full strength and I got a nice dark pinkish color when I used it in the cranberry/fig that I send you Lisa. The burgundy oxide makes a nice dark red color.