[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - How do I make goat's milk soap using the powder?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:53 pm 

Hello,

I made a batch of goat's milk soap and didn't really know what I was doing, well thought I did but it didn't work. Well it worked but I had FO pockets throughout the bar and I think I know why.

I used my normal recipe and used the summerbeemeadow calculator like I always do. My recipe has 5% shea butter in it and it was a just a hair under 2 lbs in oil weight. My supplier says to add 1-2 TBSP of goat's milk powder per pound of oils so I used 1.5 TBS of powder and added 1.9 oz of water. Then I cut back one ounce of my water so instead of 10.17 oz of water for mixing with lye I used 9.17 oz. I added the goat's milk and my 2 oz of FO at trace. I only used the stick blender briefly to mix in the goat's milk powder and water part and then stirred in the FO which I think was my problem. I was so afraid of fast trace and not being to swirl my colours. Think if i had stick blended more it would have worked.

How can you incorporate goat's milk powder to your regular soap recipe?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:21 pm 

If you take some of your water from your formula and use it to dissolve the milk first, it will be easier to disperse it in your soap batch.
If you know that the FO will not accelerate trace, add the FO to your melted and cooled oils instead.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:18 am 

soapbuddy,

Thanks, so my water amount was 10.17 ounce and I used 1.9 oz of water to mix with the 1.5 TBSP of goat's milk powder. So I would use the 8.27 oz of water to mix with lye add to melted oils and then add my goat's milk mixture at trace? I want to do a smaller batch this week-end to see what happens. I know SummerBeeMeadown uses the minimum water amount so I figured even if I added an extra ounce of water it shouldn't matter. Also I'll try adding the FO to the oils as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:08 am 

I don't remember what your recipe was, but if you plug it into the Sage Lye calculator http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php
it will give you minimum to maximum water amounts. I would go somewhere in the middle, then add the rest to your milk powder. Add that at thin trace. Make sure that you stick blend well.