[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Cracking soap?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cracking soap?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:16 am 

This website is very interesting. Just the first few threads simply knock it out of the ball park. Very well written. Another thing that interests me is cracked soap. I have read the thread about overheating soap but that is not my case.

I have one or two recipes that I feel make great soap after being made. But however, while testing the soaps afterwards I have noticed that a crack can occur in the soap. It looks like cracked tile on a bathroom floor. I know how to fix it but I don't know if my theory is correct of why it is happening.

This is my recipe...
Apricot Kernel 36%
Coconut 92ยบ 27%
Palm Kernel 27%
Castor oil 10%

For me to fix this I feel I need to lower the Coconut and palm kernel. My theory is the high percentage of hard oils creates a hotter heat during gel phase (which results in a shorter gel phase if at all! This can reach 200 degrees especially with use of an electric heating pad for lower backs) PLUS the addition of lower water which results, when these conditions are combined (shorter gel phase, higher temps, lower water), creates a condition with a bond that is not quite as strong which causes a crack in the soap when using.
That is just my theory but I would love to know what ya'll think.

Additionally, in case someone answers low water is the cause I would like to add that I frequently soap with very low water at room temperature with other recipes that I made and I have noticed that it only happens when these conditions are combined as mentioned above but I actually am not sure if I am correct or not about why it is happening.

Oh yeah, I am new. Glad to be accepted and hello to every one! My typing is just getting started. I really like to talk about my journey into soaping so I can learn which results in others learning, and then by writing about it it helps to reinforce it.

By the way, what does "Do not automatically parse URLs",
"Disable BBCode" and "Attach signature" mean?