[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - fav base / middle notes

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: fav base / middle notes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:42 pm 

I am almost out of soap and I need to make Xmas presents so I am about to whoop up a bunch of soap and I just wanted to drop by and say hi in case anybody remembers me from here.

I just made a couple of big orders mostly from BB for supplies. I lost my 5 lb mold in my recent out-of-state move (and my steel pots), so I replaced the 5 lb mold w/ a 10 lb mold and 4 five-lb silicon liners- two liners for both of my ten-lb molds. I'll just pour in twenty lb batches from now on. Ordered a new 16 quart SS stockpot. And some potash and glycerin. And I stocked back up on my essential oils, which is running pretty low due to my new addiction to bath salts. I haven't made any new EO purchases in a little while, so my once magnificent collection is dwindling away to nothingness.

I would like people's opinion on blending EOs. What are your favorite UNISEX or MASCULINE base or middle notes that are a) not dangerous b) good for the skin, and c) affordable? Has anybody else noticed that top notes are relatively cheap but the base notes that are good for the skin are a bit expensive? How much base and middle note do you put in your soap, bath salts, & perfume? For soap, I absolutely insist on at least a little bit of base note in everything. Like SB said, just 10% of any base note added to the accord makes such a big difference.

I am not experienced very much at using any of the middle notes, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend me towards some nice middle notes? For soaping and bath salts I try to limit myself to EOs that I can buy a 16 oz bottle off BB for (well) under $100. Top notes i'll spend up to $60 for the 40/20 Lavender, and for base notes I drop the $90 on the bottle of patchouli. I have spent more money on patchouli than the $90 we get it for from BB bottle and it wasn't as good. I like BB's patch & their 1st distill Peppermint very much. BB EOs kick soap. I dont buy lye from BB anymore tho. Essential Depo is doing a great Black Friday sale and I picked up a ton of Frankincense at a great price while I was buying potash and glycerin. Mostly tho even tho Essential Depo was doing a Black Friday sale and BB wasn't, the prices were about the same so I like to use BB when the price difference isn't dramatic. For the price you can't beat BB EO quality w/ a ten foot stick and that's the truth.

I am all out of liquid soap and need to whoop up a ton of that lovely stuff. Where is that beautiful person, Super Soaper, who dragged me off to that OTHER forum to learn how to make liquid soap the right way? That was really cool and very kind. She should let me send her some soap for Christmas. And orgonite. I've been making a lot of orgonite lately.

So, the base notes I can't live without: Patchouli, Frankincense, myrrh, vetiver, cedarwood. Of those only the patch, frank, & cedar are inexpensive enough to use for soaping. Definitely myrrh and vetiver are too expensive for soaping but I like to pour it in my bath salt accord sometimes, sweetened appropriately w/ a top note of course. For perfume myrrh and vetiver aren't expensive at all. Compared to rose or jasmine anyway. I've never smelled real jasmine EO and I wish I could afford some rose otto too. Yea, men can wear rose too. It's unisex, damnit, just like peppermint.... Oud...that's what I want for perfume-making, but ok let's get back to reality and affordable base and middle notes, please.

Real quick, for making bath salts for my mom I always use ylang-ylang. Chicks go crazy over ylang altho I wouldn't be caught dead smelling like the stuff. Obviously. There is some debate over whether ylang is a middle or base note, yes?

Did I covered all the unisex and masculine base notes? Does everybody else blend a little base note into everything, & what are your favorite middle notes you can turn me on to that are somewhat affordable, unisex/masculine, AND good for the skin?

I want to get some Clove Bud EO and put it in the bath salts. I have Clove Leaf & Bark EO, but I only use that for soap not perfume/salts and even then only very sparingly. I actually think i do have some Clove Bud i ordered from Mountain Rose for my toothpaste (anybody else reverse-engineer their own Earthpaste???)))).

A comment about putting EOs in your steamcleaner: I just got a new German Shepherd puppy four months ago. He's my fourth GS, & anyone who owns a GS had better also own a steam cleaner and know how to use it. Anyway, I recently tried pouring my old oxidized more dangerous EOs like Clove Leaf, Spearmint, Peru Balsam, Wintergreen, White Camphor EOs sweetened up w/ a cheap citrus top note into my steamcleaner after I add the water halfway and the soap. My 100% coconut oil 0% superfat liquid soap works wonderfully in the steamcleaner btw.

The point is that when I add EOs into my steamcleaner waterI can clean up a mess in one load of water where before it would take me four or five containers of hot water. I don't know how it works like that, but it increases the cleansing capacity of the steam cleaner tremendously. And it smells amazing. Obviously. I mixed some Clove Leaf w/ orange, lemon, & lime- it smelled like an Orange Julius tastes. My friend walked by and was like hey where have I smelled that before, and I was like 'Orange Julius?' and he goes oh yeah and walked away kinda puzzled. The thing is I had been wondering the same thing- where have I smelled this smell (accord) before? Orange Julius. Probably not Clove + Citrus, but it's an interesting accord i just wanted to mention.

Ok I'm going to go now before I start rambling. Just about to whoop up a bunch of soap and wanted to stop by and say hi to the place and folks that taught me how to do this. Happy holiday everybody!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:10 am 

I'm hearing nothing but crickets here so I'm not sure if I should delete this msg bc maybe I was rambling. I'm going to delete this later if nobody comments.

My major package from Brambleberry arrived yesterday so I'm fully ready to make the bar soap, but my potash and glycerin delivery from ED is late. I ordered from ED one or two days BEFORE I ordered from BB, but the BB shipment beat it here.

So- I ordered some vet-grade Pine Tar to make finally make some Pine Tar Soap, & some very nice aloe vera juice, & I need to go get some beer. I'm thinking about doing a coffee soap this year maybe. Oh and I bought some beeswax so 1% PPO, right? Is it a good idea to use beeswax in Pine Tar soap?

Is using beeswax in a Pine Tar soap a good idea, too much, or not enough? Would you use cocoa butter or avocado butter in a Pine Tar beeswax soap?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:00 pm 

Essential oil blending is an art. You need top, middle and base notes to create a nice blend. Try some blends on a q-tip and see what you come up with. Orange oil fades in soap, so you could use Litsea for that citrus note. Lots of trial and error.