[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Newbie with a LOT of questions

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:31 pm 

I have read every post in the CP section of the forum, and just about every tutorial from The Soap Queen, and I am confused. Anne-Marie uses the 2 quart glass bowl for her tutorials, and Alicia Grosso recommends using 4 cup Pyrex measuring cups...yet many people say never to use glass because of etching and shattering. Also...do micas work well in CP soap, or would it be better to use LabColors? I am on a tight budget, and trying to get tools together to make my first batch of soap :-). One more question....after the soap cures, some have posted that they store their soaps in plastic storage containers, but others say to put them in a cardboard box. Sorry I am so confused LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:58 am 

It can be confusing! :lol:
I don't use anything glass when I make soap. I don't want to risk breaking it. I use an inexpensive Rubbermaid pitcher from Walmart to mix my lye solution and plastic measuring cups for my colors. I also use silicone spatulas and spoons for mixing.

I love micas in CP! Not all micas are safe for CP - some will morph into weird colors. Brambleberry, Mad Oils and Nurture are good places to get micas. They will say which ones are safe for high pH CP soap and I think they all show the colors as well. I tried lab colors, but didn't like them because they tend to bleed into other colors.

I store my cured soap in plastic bins and cardboard boxes. It depends what's handy. I like the boxes better.

Basically, it comes down to doing what works best for you. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:59 am 

Please do not use Pyrex or glass for soap! Lye etches glass and weakens it. Over time, the lye creates micro tears. One day that glass can shatter. I've had a Pyrex cup shatter in the sink. Use a polypropylene pitcher (#5) or stainless steel to mix your lye water in, and a stainless steel pot or a large plastic bowl/container to mix your oils an lye in.

Glass looks good in a video and it's see through, but it's not safe to use. I have been making soap for 40 years. I've had a few mishaps along the way and learned the hard way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:29 pm 

Thank you all so much for the replies. I only have enough money right now to get some basic tools and supplies at Wal-Mart...to see if I like soapmaking, so I wanted to make sure I got the right things the first time LOL. Thanks again for the wonderful help you have given, and thank you for allowing me to become a member of this wonderful community :-D . I hope to have my first batch of soap made in a little while...can't wait to start!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:05 pm 

Sometimes you can find bowls and containers at a Dollar Store and stick blender at a thrift store.
My lye pitcher came from a Dollar Store. I've had it for at least 7 years. I only use it for lye.
Don't use soap in your lye pitcher. Just lots and lots of plain water to rinse with.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:16 pm 

Thanks soapbuddy. I will look for some good pitchers at either store (Dollar Tree right next door to my Wal-Mart). For my first mold, I was thinking of using one of their straight sided 9"×5"×3" loaf pans with wax paper liner. That should get me maybe 9-1" bars. I want to get BBs 10" silicone loaf mold eventually. I notice that that mold comes in their beginners kit. I might get started cheaper getting that. I am still trying to work through their oils...they have coconut, olive, avocado, sunflower, soybean, and grapeseed. I will probably get some stuff through BB and Wal-Mart and Dollar Tree. LOL...I am just too eager to want to try swirls and some of the beautiful designs...trying to run before I can walk :-) .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:12 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:24 pm 

Oh...Ok. I am not sure. They're website shows a metal one, and then a silicone one. Every time I look in the store itself, they never seem to have what's on the site. I have been trying to find the post here that I read about all the other stuff you can use as molds, but I haven't been able to find it again. I may just go ahead and get the 10" silicone mold if I can't find anything local.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:16 am 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:20 pm 

I will soapbuddy. I want to do this safely. You are one of my "mentors" from this forum, and I know you have a lot of experience. You make beautiful soaps :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:36 am 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:19 am 

Thanks ljm1180...I think I will do that. My mind got off on a tangent LOL. I thought I would need a mold, a cutter, the beveler, and more to start. I can't cut straight with a knife to save my life. They have one of those cheese slicers with the attached arm I was thinking about trying. Someone here on the forum said you could doctor it up a little and that it works fine. Like you said, I think my first batch will be plain, and I can do it in a silicone jumbo ice cube tray that Wal-Mart has...that will save me the cutting problem.
_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:38 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:55 am 

Hi deeanne59,

I remember when I was in your shoes! You should see all the gadgets and equipment I have. Over time I collected all sorts of things from the thrift stores, which is an awesome resource to use. For a quick mold, run down to the local post office and grab one or two of the small shipping boxes they have. They are free! Don't forget to line it though! I prefer to use freezer paper that you can pick up from Walmart, as well as olive, coconut, lard, and sunflower oils. Some of the other oils you will have to purchase elsewhere though....like palm (make sure it's sustainable palm though) or the other fancier oils...most of these I purchase online. Take your time because there is soooo much to learn about making soap.....this comes with time (Take lots of notes!). I have been soaping for 5 years now and I am still learning! Good luck & happy soaping!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:22 pm 

Thanks Sanctuary :mrgreen: I think I am so excited about wanting to start soaping, that I am trying to do things too fast. My Wal-Mart has all of the oils except palm...and someone said the older Crisco and sometimes the Great Value brand shortening is made with palm oil. I will check my post office for those boxes. Wal-Mart also has 2 inch by 2 inch silicone jumbo ice trays I wanted to try for samples...and a 9" and 12 1/2" silicone loaf mold that looks interesting. It does look though, that I will have to order my lye online. No one here carries it do to Meth production.