[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Recommended percentage of soft oils for swirling?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:48 pm 

Is there a recommended percentage of soft oils for a recipe that you intend to swirl?

I found a couple of videos that Anne-Marie had done of the spin swirl. I never tried that one before, and I was intrigued.

My soap started thickening on me before I was done, so even though I got the majority of the pour done, there wasn't much in the way of swirling.

I checked my recipe, my standard 100% vegetable oil recipe, and it's 45% soft oils. One of the videos that Anne-Marie did had about 57% soft oils.

I'm guessing mine doesn't have quite enough, but as I really like my recipe, is there some kind of range? A starting point?

I was using a lemon/lavender blend, which shouldn't have sped things up. Soaped at 90 degrees since I was using goatsmilk and cream. My water was at 38%.

Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations on soft oil percentages?

Thanks!

Anita

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:41 am 

Are you sure it wasn't thickening due to the low temps? Soaping at low temps can start the oils solidifying or you can get a false trace.
You can also try using a stainless steel whisk instead of a stick blender.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:09 pm 

Thanks, Irena. I hadn't thought about the temps.

My next attempt at this swirl will be a lard soap with anise. The recipe is 30% lard, and I know the lard will slow the trace.

Anne-Marie used a lazy Susan in her video, and I didn't. That might also make a difference, if I wasn't moving from one side of the table to the other. Granted, it only takes a few seconds per pour, but since I was pouring many times, that adds up.

I will master this!

:lol:

Anita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:15 am 

Good luck on your next batch.