[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Lye into the oils, or oils in the lye?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:08 pm 

I am thinking of giving HP a try. I have done much research, read lots of the queen blog, and so on. I personally think it might be better for me to start the hot process way, and I see all the methods fist melt the oils in the crock pot, and then add the lye solution.

But for cleaning and pick up purposes, I personally think it would be better to the lye solution in the ceramic bowl of the crock pot in my porch, and after it cools down bring it in, and then add the oils, which I would have previously warm in the stove.

Would that be ok? :shock:

I somewhat search in the forum, but there are so many pages I got overwhelmed. So sorry if this has been asked before.

Thank you for any input. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:20 pm 

Always add your lye TO your oils, not the other way around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:33 pm 

My late father, who was a chemist, told me once that you always add the more reactive substance (the lye solution, in this case) to the less reactive substance (the melted oils).

You add lye to your liquid when making up your lye solution, not liquid to your lye.

Anita

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:09 pm 

Thank you Anita! and Soapbuddy!

Also, then can I mix the lye in a plastic container, so I can throw it away after use?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:08 am 

I use a polyprolyene plastic pitcher to mix my lye water in. It's been reused many, many times. You can also use a stainless steel pitcher.
I use a stainless steel pot to melt my oils in and for mixing oils and lye water. Do NOT use glass! Lye etches it and one day that glass could shatter!