[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Reformulation without caster oil?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:19 pm 

Hey, guys!

I haven't been around in a while, I know. About to crank up the soap making machine for the holiday craft shows, and I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

My recipes include castor oil at 5%. I'm about out of castor oil, as I discovered to my horror last night. Any ideas on how I can replace that castor oil, which I can't get my hands on in a timely fashion?

I use coconut, PKO, and babassu in my all-vegetable oil soaps. (Spellcheck turned that into "bananas".) I'm thinking maybe up the PKO by 5%?

I'm trying to keep the lather at the same level. I don't want to increase the coconut, as I know that's hard on some people. No one has ever claimed that my soap irritates their skin, and I'd like to keep it that way. :D

Any other ideas, or does that sound like a reasonable suggestion?

I know I'll have to reformulate my recipes with my lye calculator once I decide what to change.

Thanks for the help.

Anita

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:31 pm 

Since castor brings bubbles to the formula, I would recalculate without it and add some plain sugar to your lye water. About a teaspoon (pre-dissolved in some water) per lb. of soap should do it. Be aware that sugar can make your soap overheat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm 

Thanks, Irena.

I do know about the sugar and overheating.

I make a molasses spice soap with goatsmilk and cream, scented with cloves and cinnamon. Learned after the first batch of that to stick it straight in the fridge after pouring.

Thanks again.

Anita