[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - New to CP soap.. and soap in general

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:22 pm 

I have just made my first 2 loaves of soap. I had no acceleration, no issues AT ALL. I did 1 CPOP and it ended up with a slight weird texture on top (its still soft and gel like as I made it 90 min ago). The 2nd, just molded it. Not wrapping, just going to see what they do like this first. I used BB Turkish Mocha, colored the base with a bit more brown (stated it goes brown, but I wasnt really fully sure) and kept some without scent to do a white/creamy swirl on top. The 2nd I used Sleigh Ride, BB, and used 3 colors, red, green and white. Layered the bottom green and white then did a 3 color swirl on top. dusted it with sparkle gold mica.

I am shocked at how easy this was... and I am kinda scared that they wont sent up. I used a recipe of 33% olive, 33% coconut, 30% palm and then 4% castor. Superfatted at 5%. Plugged in the recipe on SoapCalc, so hoping its ok. From what I see, its a main base recipe of sorts.

Being I put the first soap in the oven, it was slightly over an hour at 150 (my oven goes hot so opted lower than 170) and it made a weird texture... will that hurt my soap? It does not look like it went fully through the gel phase either.

Heres to hoping.... right?!?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:44 pm 

Soap #2 is hardening, but the one that was in the oven.... is far from it. I think once it cools down... hopefully.

Pretty excited about making soap, its a LOT of fun!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:58 pm 

Congrats!!! And welcome to the forum!! Your sleigh ride soap sounds bea-u-ti-ful!!! Can you post a picture of the cut product?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:00 pm 

Welcome!
If the soap didn't gel, it's ok. Just give it more time before cutting and give all a nice cure of 4-6 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:18 am 

I dont care about gelling or not. Enough research shows its more about the look vs function.

I have 3/4 loaves cut (yep made more! and 52 sticks of deodorant-I have a market today) and all look amazing. BUT, my black....is more grey looking. Kinda sad about that one... but maybe as it goes? I was a little easy on that color as I dont want black suds and staining in the tub! It was "black" with copper veins in it (pencil lines) using Dragons Blood from BB! and the other loaf was BB Lavender Forest... did a double pour (think thats what its called... pouring 2 colors at the same time to create a 50/50 color look) and then swirled. Did a light purple and mint green (now looks mint green and lighter mint green...and barly see the swirl) but it all looks AMAZING!

I am addicted. I still have had NO issues with acceleration, ricing, no ash on top (yet). It was a dream. I used a silicone loaf mold and it did lightly bow on the sides, but makes my soap a really cool shape!

I am off to a market in a little bit so will post a few pictures when I get back. So thrilled that everything is turning out. I tried to send a picture but its too big :( No idea how to make it smaller?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:22 pm 

6 loaves, no issues... so I thought. 4 cut and look amazing, 2 more in the molds to cut in the next 24 hours. I get up and go in the other room, notice a 4" crack down my soap. No volcano (and I doubt it as its feeling pretty cool now)... thankfully. Hoping the crack eases up overnight.... what are the odds of that? I have seen a few pictures where some really bad cracks weren't all to bad after... tell me I have that hope? Its an unscented, uncolored loaf. Very white (kaolin clay in it) and made with some cocoa butter, olive, palm and coconut. I got too cocky, here I thought I was doing everything great... and this. I soaped at a hotter temp as I wasnt worried about acceleration or anything as it was just being dumped in the mold. BIG mistake. I think it was 110-115 range, everything else has been the 85-90 range.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:27 am 

The crack happens when the soap gets hot and the extra heat tries to escape. Some people spritz the crack with alcohol and close it with their finger(s).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:47 pm 

I knew it was too hot, and I am ok with the crack, it doesnt look bad, gives it character! And being its an all white soap, so you really don't notice it much.

I will stick to my low soaping temps from now on!