[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - How much Litsea to use as an anchor?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:33 am 

I have never used Litsea as an anchor before. I am making a blend for my orange spice soap. for a 6# batch I will be using
55 g Orange 10x
25 g Tangernine
8 g Cinnamon
8 g Clove

Would I need to add some litsea to anchore the orange/tangerine? If so how much?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 am 

I would start with just a couple of grams, since too much can overcome a blend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 am 

The clove will anchor as well but you need the base notes to be about 10- 20 % of your blend (0.84oz). Your blend is currently at .56 oz base notes. So your litsea needs to be at least .28 oz or you can increase the clove to make up for that (*see note below), or add another base note (patchouli, vetiver, balsam anise, benzoin,cedarwood,jasmine,rose or sandalwood) to your blend. You can also add some clay to anchor. No matter what, you can add another 0.9 oz EO's to this blend and still be good with numbers.
*The clove and cinnamon combined could go up to .96 oz (1%) but I do not like going past 0.5% personally, so I would keep them where they are or even a tad less, and add another base EO or some clay.

ETA: To clarify, you may add another .9 oz of EO's, however, you cannot go past 0.96 oz total in cinnamon and clove combined.

Tammy

Last edited by LavenderLady on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 am 

That was just the information I was going to look up! I haven't used spice eo's much but my hubby wants a lime/clove blend. Thanks!

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 am 

Lime can be pretty abrasive too, especially some crops. So I tend to use it like I use the other potentially irritating EO's. In other words, I would keep the clove and lime at 0.5 to 1% of the blend and use something else to anchor it and bolster the scent. Ginger is nice in a clove lime blend, as is vetiver or patchouli and these would all anchor the lime too. You may also want to look for a middle note to add to the blend. But I always start off at the low end, the 0.5%, with potentially irritating Eo's.
Have fun blending!

Tammy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:29 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:35 am 

yw, Creating scents is my favorite thing to do! You could try some fennel, juniper, lavender or rosemary in there and see how you/he likes that blend. These are all I can think of at the moment that might fit well with the others. Remember, you don't need to add in the same proportions, a lot of times, just a touch of an eo gives it that umph that it needs. Good luck and have a blast!

Tammy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:37 am 

Do you think basil might work? I use it in another blend and noticed a licorice note in it. Sounds kinda odd but lime and basil play nicely together. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 am 

If you want a licorice note, add fennel., basil is a top note and you already have your top note.

ETA: sorry, didn't mean to sound bossy. I am tired! Forgive and add, "I suggest you add..." :D

Tammy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:52 am 

Thanks, Tammy! I understood. :D Dumb of me as I only use it for an accent I never paid attention that basil gives a top not middle note. How awful that I'll just have to go play some more! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:56 am 

I don't use basil in my soaps as it reminds me of pizza. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:00 am 

In this blend, it smells nothing like pizza! 3g in 120 oz (oil weight) just adds a hint. I'm starting to want pizza though and it's not even noon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 am 

Now you both did it, :o you made me hungry! :wink: You know.....any reason to blend and play more, so glad I could help :!: :lol: :lol:

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like my son. His answer is always "my nose is stuffy."