[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Interesting Soap experience

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:39 pm 

Because I believe in sharing our experiences, good, bad, or indifferent, I'm going to share mine. It all worked out, in the end, but it had a couple of Holy Cow! moments in it.

I'll add that I don't +think+ I mis-measured anything. I do try very hard to measure twice, mix once, and allow no distractions. Having said so, I'm human too, and I possibly fluffed something. But I don't know +what+ it was, if I did. :?

I had been asked to make lard and coconut oil soap combo that included safflower, sunflower, and evening primrose oils. Uh-kay. And I always have beeswax in my soaps.

Here's the recipe I used, in percentages.
Beeswax 2%
Palm Kernel Flakes 3%
Castor Oil 5%
Safflower Oil 5%
Sunflower Oil 5%
Evening Primrose Oil 5%
Coconut Oil 30%
Lard 45%
8.88 oz Lye
21.12 oz H2O
1.5 oz Sodium Lactate
2 oz Soapy Clean BB Fragrance Oil

I soaped when lye water was ~ 112 F and oils ~ 115 F. Since I use beeswax, I tend to soap warmer. Usually, I add honey to my soap, but did not get to add it this time.

I put my stick blender in, used it 30 seconds to minute ONLY. That's all I got! :o It was not custard, it was solid Jell-Oh-Heck pudding thickness. I started scooping into one mold, patted it down with plastic wrap. I went for the second mold, and it came out of my crock pot in one solid, gelatinous blob, and was crumbling by the time I tried to smooth it. This thing went at Warp Speed. I have never seen anything like it.

I put the second mold into a ~ 170 F oven for about 30 minutes. It loosened up to the point I could stir it up, and smooth it properly. They are on the counter, behaving as if nothing ever happened, TYVM.

Some of my soaps have been softer than I like, and I decided to try the sodium lactate this time. Is that the culprit, or did I travel through a random worm hole in the fabric of space-time?

Anyhow, if it helps you learn, more power to you!
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:03 am 

Hmm. Have you ever soaped with that fragrance before? FOs are the usual culprits. Palm kernel flakes can speed things up, but they are such a small percentage in your recipe, and I've never seen them make soap move that fast!

Like us: http://www.facebook.com/AvitalsApiaries

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:25 am 

Have you used this recipe before? Doing the math, 80% of your oils are hard at room temp.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:32 am 

If the soap seizes, let it. Then gel it right in the pot. I find this is the best way so you don't get lye pockets or fragrance pockets. Then mix very well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:17 am 

Nope, new recipe. Playing with some ideas.

I let it sit to cool to room temp, and froze it for another 20 hours. I unmolded it just now (1 PM CDT) and it came out great. No zap, nice and creamy, smells fab. I'll let it dry a couple of days and see. I used the crumblies to wash hands with, and I like it. We'll let it age a bit and mature.

I prefer harder bars over softer, but I love the idea of some the special oils. That's why I keep making soap, to try out the next brainstorm. :mrgreen: I am sure none of the rest of you EVER feel like that! (she said, sarcastically. Bwa ha ha ha ha)

Glad to know that was a "seize" rather than something else. I'll know next time not to panic.

Honey Lady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 am 

Next time try a stainless steel whisk instead of the stick blender.